If you’ve been hearing any scuttle that the news release is dead, think again. This vehicle is not only alive and very well, it’s smart public relations for your business.
Here are 10 reasons why the news release still works and should be incorporated into any company’s integrated marketing plan:
2. Once approved by all parties within a company (get legal to approve the content, too), the news release becomes the tier one communications vehicle for many other written tools.
3. A news release can be distributed on the traditional PR wire, via the online wires to drive traffic to websites, and it also becomes the primary tool used by media relations specialists to pitch media.
5. Social media channels benefit from a news release. There are likely 10 posts on Twitter that result from a news release, 1-2 on Facebook, another few on Google+, and a video post onYouTube (if video is available).
6. Companies should always keep an archive of past news announcements on a website. Typically, these are stored in an online news center via a news release archive in chronological fashion.
7. When media are interested in covering a company, a news release is an official source for research by reporters seeking current information.
8. When a company spokesperson is quoted in a news release with the quote attributed with name and title, that quote may be lifted and used by others covering the company. The quote is considered approved language as well as public content.
9. If a company desires attention by third parties who may be media, investors, client prospects, shareholders, employees, or other stakeholders, the news release is the expected and approved tool for such communications.
10. Companies cannot ignore social media and many have flocked to the channels to post content on third-party platforms. Think a minute about that…your company does not control the servers for Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or YouTube. The only secure channel your company owns and controls on all fronts is your website.
A company making history can better tout its story by a progression of consistent news release showing milestones oriented to growth, product launches, new leadership, and other hard news.
Use the news release. It’s very smart public relations.