One year ago today, SteamFeed was born. It was a helluva (yup, that’s a word) year, and we’d do it all over again if we could!
DJ and I met through social media in July 2012. DJ approached me with an idea, and after a few Skype calls (we weren’t into G+ then), we came up with the initial ideas for SteamFeed. I’d also like to give a shout-out to Robert Caruso at this point who has been a wonderful advisor and mentor to us both since the start.
Through our own personal blogs, we managed to create enough buzz to get people interested in our concept, including our initial 18 authors. We really didn’t know what to expect, but we certainly didn’t expect what happened next.
On opening day, we had a pool of 28 articles from 18 different authors (including DJ and I).
Here are some of the first articles that were published on SteamFeed:
- Why Self-Promoting Could Kill Your Brand, by Paul Cooley (105 social shares)
- The Shark Tank Guide To Branded Introductions, by Kimberly Bordonaro (67 social shares)
- Top 3 Mobile Marketing Mistakes, And How To Fix Them, by Kim Reynolds (151 social shares)
- Website Speed: Do Your Audience Or Search Engines Really Care?, by Kittie Walker (63 social shares)
- Be Newsworthy: How To Drive Better PR Results, by Susie Parker (76 social shares)
I remember how excited we were after that first day, and first week. We were getting over 100 social shares on some articles, which never happens for a new blog! We knew after the first day that we had something special going on. Now take a look at 5 of our recent articles:
- 25 Smart Ways To Promote Your Latest Blog Post, by Rebekah Radice (945 social shares)
- Social Media ROI for Small Business, by Kimberly Yuhl (473 social shares)
- How To Find Topics Your Audience Craves In 20 Minutes, by Kimberly Bordonaro (430 social shares)
- 4 Search Engine Optimization Benefits of Blogging, by Brent Carnduff (491 social shares)
- Beginner’s Guide To Google Analytics – Part 2: Setting Up Your Goals To Measure Impact, by Aleh Barysevich (498 social shares)
And our Top 5 articles based on shares from all of last year:
- Social Media Fail – @GirlScouts Crush A Girl’s Social Good, Then Make It Worse! by Robert Caruso (4,400 social shares)
- 3 Reasons Google Plus Can’t Be Ignored by Ray Hiltz (2,300 social shares)
- 9 Social Media Tools To Make Your Life Easier by Kim Reynolds (1,900 social shares)
- 10 Pinterest Do’s That’ll Make You a Better Marketer by Rebekah Radice (1,600 social shares)
- 5 Reasons Why Blogs Fail and How You Can Avoid Them by Steven Hughes (1,600 social shares)
The growth was impeccable! We did a complete site re-design in January that helped propel our new look, what you see today. We added SteamFeed Radio, with Gerry and Paul Cooley as co-hosts, with a multitude of guests. We now have over 800 articles published, from 50 different featured authors, and a number of guest authors. We consistently get thousands of social shares every week. We’ve had over 69,000 visits over the past 30 days (666.67% more than our first month), with almost 92,000 pageviews (467.58% more than our first month).
We also added a new partner to the SteamFeed family last spring, Gerry Michaels (better known as GettysburgGerry). Thank you Gerry for coming on board, and helping us take SteamFeed to the next level.
We have come such a long way.
To Our Community
Thank you for being such loyal readers. To everyone that subscribed to our site, and make it a daily ritual to read the wonderful articles our authors produce, thank you. To everyone that takes the extra time to leave a comment, thank you. To everyone that takes that extra little second to hit share, thank you. You make it all worthwhile!
And Most Importantly
Thank you to all of our authors, both current and alumni. We appreciate all the dedication and hard work you put into making SteamFeed what it is today. Without you, we wouldn’t be here. Without you, our readers wouldn’t have a trusted place to go read important content.
You make SteamFeed fun. You keep us going every day. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making this the journey of a lifetime.
The rest of 2013 and 2014 will bring interesting new things to our SteamFeed family and community, so stay tuned.
Please join us tonight for a special edition of SteamFeed Radio, where the founders of SteamFeed and Gerry will chat about what an amazing year it has been.
Also, we want to hear from you! Let us know what SteamFeed means to you. Send us a short video, a Vine, a tweet, write on our Facebook wall, or leave a comment, and tell us what SteamFeed means to you!
Happy Birthday everyone!
Daniel, DJ, and Gerry